Your baby is going to be ONE YEAR OLD! Where did the time go?! Their birthday is the perfect excuse for a photo shoot and cake smashes are one of our favorite things to photograph. If you haven’t considered it yet, take a look at our gallery to see how cute it can be! Here are some tips to make sure your cake smash session is a success!
- The Preperation–Make sure they’ve had sweets/cupcakes/cake BEFORE the session. Most of the time if they haven’t had sweets yet, they end up just sitting there looking at the cake like “what exactly do you want me to do with this?”. They’ll want to get up and leave. They won’t know what to do with the cake and may end up crying. Which can be cute, but the goal of any DGD session is to have fun! Test them out by giving them a small cupcake with lots of frosting a day or two before their session, let them sit and eat on their own for a bit then help him/her dig their hands into it and have fun smearing frosting on your face and theirs, make it a game!
- The Outfit–Usually photographing them in their diaper works just fine. In fact it’s what we recommend. But if you feel like going all out, custom outfits are adorable. But keep it minimal. Onsies and diaper covers for boys and diaper covers, tutus or lace rompers for girls. And remember, if the cake smash is successful, they will have cake all over the outfit.
- The Decorations–We typically photograph these sessions on our classic white background which keeps the focus on your baby. We also have a home/hardwood floor area that we also use and we have even gone outside if its nice…Decorations can add a cute, custom touch to your photos so feel free to bring in balloons, banners or toys that match your outfit and cake.
- The Cake–6″ round cakes from your local store work the best. They’re small enough for your baby to dig into and sometimes even pick up, can you image how cute that will be? Picking up a whole 6″ cake and pushing it right into their face. Adorable. For something different, cupcakes scattered all over look pretty cute too! We recommend using pastel or lighter colors for your cake/cupcakes. Sometimes harsh primary colors can look a little fake and cartoonish. Go for pastel pink, lavenders, light blues & greens.
- The Clean Up–Again, if the cake smash is successful, they will have cake all over them and their outfit. Our bathroom sinks at Digital Galleria are big bowl-style sinks. They’re perfect for a quick bath after the cake smash session so we recommend bringing a towel to dry them off with. We do have some at DGD if you forget. We will clean up the cake and throw it away if you’d like.
*Fun Tip–Bring your video camera to record the cake smash!
*Keep in mind–During cake smashes, some kiddos have a lot of fun and giggle/smile/look at the camera but a majority of the time we capture them having fun/getting dirty…and may not be the perfect looking-at-the-camera-smiling-portrait.
Cake smashes usually last about 10 minutes, so they’re a perfect addition to an Expressions Sessions (no extra charge.) Bonus-if you schedule during the week, you may be able to pick out your pictures right after your session and have your photos printed within half an hour. Awesome, right?
ARE YOU READY TO SCHEDULE YOUR CAKE SMASH SESSION? CLICK HERE!